Find Out If a Career in Finance is in Your Future:
Financial professionals work in a variety of roles but their main duties are being responsible for looking after a company or individual's financial matters. This may include advising clients on how to make smart decisions with their money, investments or to conduct bookkeeping work, doing tax returns for businesses throughout the year or at the end of every financial year.
Every organisation needs a financial department. Working in this industry could see you working for multimillion dollar company’s or smaller businesses providing you with the flexibility to work as and when required.
Is Finance right for you?
It goes without saying you must love numbers to become a member of the financial family, you will live and breathe spreadsheets. Sums and figures are a part of daily life for financial professionals. Whether you're starting at entry level in your career or working as an experienced accountant, numbers are an inescapable factor of this vocation.
As well as juggling totals, financial individuals should be able to demonstrate a high level of interpersonal skills. Having the ability to communicate effectively and interact with other departments with general patience and understanding will go a long way in your career.
Another quality sought-after in financial wizards is the analytical skill. The ability to observe and identify frequencies and patterns in data and present their insights clearly to others.
If you are keen for a career in finance, here are some figures you'll like from the Australian Government Job Outlook Initiative:
- This is a large occupation employing 45,900 workers. The number of workers has grown moderately over the past 5 years.
- Full-time work is very common. Full-time workers, on average, work 40.9 hours per week (compared to the all jobs average of 40 hours).
- Average earnings for full-time workers are around $1,701 per week (very high compared to the all jobs average of $1,230). Earnings tend to be lower when starting out and higher as experience grows.
- Over the next 5 years (to May 2022) the number of workers is expected to stay about the same at 47,200. Around 21,000 job openings are likely over this time from workers leaving and new jobs being created.
Types of Courses
Courses in the financial sector are plentiful. With so many rich and varied job opportunities in this sector, a short course qualification is a great way to begin working towards a meaningful and clever career in finance. Whether you are entry level or intermediate, there are a variety of courses in finance available to suit your needs, Australia wide.
Here is an overview and short description of what courses are on offer both online and face to face:
Certificate IV in Finance and Mortgage Broking
Take this qualification over 9 months and you can expect to learn the traits of what it is like to work in the world of finance broking (including mortgage broking). You will be taught how to solve problems and arising issues and analyse and assess information from several different outlets.
Certificate IV in Financial Services
This certificate provides you with the skills to be flexible in the financial services by learning a range of duties where a specialist qualification is not required by their training needs. You can complete this course in 1 year whilst learning how to apply theoretical and technical knowledge to be able to work alone and make decisions in completing daily activities.
A career in finance could see you advising international companies on their earnings or becoming part of a close knit team working for a smaller establishment. Here are some prospective job titles for your consideration:
- Credit Officer
- Credit Manager
- Financial Sector Team Leader
- Assistant Financial Broker
- Banking Sales Consultant
- First Line Supervisor
- Generalist Financial Services Employee
- Retail Financial Services Officer
- Retail Financial Services Administration Staff
- Mortgage Broker
- Employee Bookkeeper
- BAS Agent
- Trainee Accountant
- Collection Officer
- Customer Service Officer
- Leasing Officer
- view all